Monday, December 20, 2010

Final Countdown: Day 5

Ahhhhhhhh! My first weekday of Christmas vacation away from school. That fact in and of itself is a gift. No alarm clock this morning--how wonderful. However, I did wake up about 7 a.m. and that is a late morning for me. I enjoyed my cappacino leisurely in the big rocker recliner watching the lights blink and twinkle on the tree. I was in no particular hurry this first morning to do anything.

I did have a productive day. First, I wanted to get dressed and head out to the city. I wanted to top off the gas tank in my car so I would be ready for whatever travels the week held for me. After stopping off to pay one bill, I had a few little things to take care of to be sure Santa was in good shape when he swings over our house. The major thing was that I headed to WalMart for groceries. My list was complete with ingredients for some special snacks I wanted to make that are family traditions, and of course, we needed 6 p.m. dinner food. It was actually a very pleasant day in town. No heavy traffic and the grocery aisles were not crowded at all. I could look and ponder without being in someone's way or having to move my cart over. The shelves were even fully stocked after the weekend.

After getting home, I put away all the groceries and worked in the kitchen for a while. First I was hungry and had to find a snack for lunch. I cleaned fruits and vegetables, put some ribs into the crock pot for our supper and began the first of my snack treats for the family, Cocktail Pecans. Here is the beginning. . .

and the final product. This is one of Collin's favorites. I might also mention that the candy cane dish is new and a gift this year from a dear friend.
I've received several new ornaments this year for Christmas gifts and I've been so busy, I haven't had time to get them on the tree. I took a few minutes to hang them this afternoon.

The evening meal is over now and the kitchen is cleaned. Tomorrow I'll attack a few more projects, but for now, I think I'll call it quits. I may watch a little TV and no doubt, sit and watch the tree lights blink. I do so enjoy the tree and am always a little sad when it's time to store it away in it's box.

Marcia

No comments: