Monday, October 9, 2017

Welcome Fall!

I can hardly believe October has arrived.  With the dry weather we’ve had, I believe Autumn has arrived early in our neck of the woods. Last week Collin and I did some outside projects 
as numbers of leaves floated to the ground from the breeze, I doubt we’ll see too much color.  We are in a season of drought.  We could use a little rain, but I know the farmers are hoping the rains hold and crops can be harvested to completion.

This is a wonderful time of year.  I love the colors, the temps seem to moderate, the holiday season is coming to mind, and I’m more mindful of my many blessings. 
I’ve decorated the house, pulled out the fall coffee mugs,
and already made a pumpkin pie that didn’t last long.  Collin has requested another one. I love the smell of burning wood and leaves.  I even shift my attention to the opposite side of the closet looking for clothing that says fall, but is still relatively geared to remaining warm days. 

Last week seemed like a good time for a little outing to observe the scenery and look for a glimpse of turning foliage.  Mom and I set out for Parkin, Arkansas and the little community of Togo where she grew up.  We hadn’t been in years and thought it would be fun to look around and see what remained, what had changed, and what was different.  We saw the houses some of her brothers had lived in, and stores they used to run.  We stopped in at the Parkin Archaeological State Park.  
It was kind of neat to see the Indian artifacts in the museum and see the mounds.  We moved on from highway 75 to 64 and traveled to Wynne where the Village Creek State Park can be found.  It is a beautiful park and I wanted her to see its beauty and to show her where Collin and I have camped in our RV.  From there we stopped for a Sonic burger at Harrisburg and cut across highway 14 to Waldenburg for an afternoon visit with her brother, Hamp, and his wife, Pat.  We had a great time digging up memories and stories of days gone by.  In the late afternoon, we headed back down highway 49 towards home.  It was a great day.

Anyone who knows me at all will recognize that I’m deeply rooted in all things southern, that family is everything, and that I’m all about tradition.  With the onset of fall leading into the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, these combinations grow even more prevalent and obvious in my day to day agenda and thoughts.  As the days progress, I’ll share the decor, the food, the traditions, and the memories.
 
These are some things that bring me the greatest joy.  Reminiscing while planning in the present and focusing on making a special gathering for my family is what is important and gives me the greatest opportunity to. . .

Live Simply

Marcia

No comments: