Monday, October 16, 2017

Monday Meditations: Prayers, Incense, and Candles

Candles is one of my favorite things.  The fragrance fills the house with a pleasant aroma, makes everything seem a bit cozier, and warms the surroundings.  I especially like the scents for Fall and Christmas.  Don’t you just love coupons and deals at Bath and Body Works!  Even better is when $24 candles are on sale for half.  My personal Autumn favorite is Pecan Waffle.

After a devotional I read last week, I’ve no doubt that burning candles in my home will become even more important and more meaningful for me.  Working through a book study on prayer, the author referenced writings and rituals expressing the importance and significance of burning incense in Old Testament days. It was considered, in fact, the sweet aroma of worship.  Sacrificial offerings to God were burned creating an aroma and an upward rising of smoke.  Incense, also creating an aroma and an upward rising of smoke, was costly, a sign acknowledging deity, burned by priests, offered in the temple, and was symbolic in times of prayer. Prayers spoken from the heart along with burning incense were carried upward right into the heavens.
What a beautiful symbolism for us today as we are reminded that prayer is a form of worship and that our words travel upward to heaven.  While I don’t have incense, and have never burned it, I am confident that every time I light a candle in my home, I will think about the gift and privilege of prayer, that I can communicate with the Creator, praising Him for all blessings and petitioning Him with my needs.  He hears my words and He knows my heart.  He understands and will answer.

Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Jesus wants to guide us and help us if we only but call on Him. Light your  candle as a reminder and say a prayer. What another beautiful way to. . .

Live Simply, Marcia


No comments: