Sunday, October 29, 2017

It Is Really Fall: Temps, Trips, Treats

While the calendar said it was Fall several weeks ago, I think it arrived this week.  There is definitely a chill in the air and it made the activities of the week seem more realistic and timely. 

The foliage has begun to turn and it seemed a road trip to the hills might be in order.  We've had a very dry season and while I think a vast majority of our leaves in the region are simply going to turn brown and drop off, there is a little color.  I had been thinking how much my two mothers would enjoy a day out and heading to the hills would be a good journey to hopefully see pretty leaves and not be to far to wear everyone out.  Wednesday was the day, breezy with a crisp chill in the air.  I picked up my passengers and we headed to the historical Arkansas hill town of Hardy. We took a detour at Black Rock, the gateway to the Ozarks and drove through Lake Charles State Park.  Collin and I go there often to camp and I thought they would enjoy seeing where we stay for short weekend get-a-ways.  The foliage in the park was turning and it was nice.  This picture doesn't really do justice. 
We headed on arriving in Hardy about lunchtime.  It was good to get out and rest and we were all ready for some lunch at McDonalds.  We got home about 2:30 and I think everyone had an enjoyable day.
Collin's mom, Joyce on the left and my mom, Bonnie on the right.
As the week progressed, all meteorologists continued to remind us that freezing temps and rain were on the way for the weekend.  I decided I must take action.  Friday morning, I went to the garden and pulled every sizable green tomato I had filling a 3-gallon bucket.  I wrapped them in newspaper individually and expect them to ripen.  How I will miss having fresh tomatoes at meal time.  I also picked turnip greens and brought them in being afraid the frost would ruin them.  Collin planted a small patch and Mom and I have had greens and cornbread every Tuesday for the last four weeks.  No one else in the family cares for them, but we have really enjoyed feast and fellowship together.  I made it in just as the rain was starting.

My next project was getting  the first inaugural crock pot of chili ready for our evening meal. 
The rain would usher in falling temps and it would drop into the 30s for the evening.  Was the chili ever good! We had plenty of corn chips and shredded cheese to make each bowl just right. 
And by Saturday morning, we needed fire in the house, so Collin managed the first of the season.  It was so cozy to sit by the fireplace and linger over coffee.
Saturday evening, we were invited to a Halloween party with several other couples.  It was themed "Shipwrecked Luau."   The meal was bar-b-q, and we had a fun time.
I actually had a dress to go with this wrap, but I decided it was just to cold and opted to simply add jeans  Another night of 30 is meant to dress a little warmer.
Its the little things that count and the way we make memories.  Taking in the colors of fall, feeling crisp breezes on your face and blowing through your hair, good food, crackling fires, and lingering over conversation is what its all about.

Living Simply,

Marcia


No comments: