Sunday, November 3, 2013

At Home in Autumn

The colors of Autumn are my favorites and decorating the house for the season is something I always look forward to and enjoy. When it comes to shopping, I could visit Hobby Lobby and Kirklands every Saturday of the year. I always see something new that I didn't notice the time before and they always seem to have something I would really enjoy adding to my collections. This year was no exception--I found several new things, but did shop the sales. I can enjoy my finds a bit more guilt free if I've been a frugile shopper.

I thought this week, I'd open our home to friends and family with a little tour.

If you stop at the front drive, you'll be greeted by our friendly scarecrow and his stash of pumpkins.

Most everyone is so comfortable they just come in the garage entrance through my laundry room. I've learned to keep it spruced up a bit and find a way to welcome our company. I have come to the conclusion that its a compliment if folks are comfortable to enter by the back door and make themselves at home.

Of course everyone knows the heart of the home is the kitchen so maybe leaving the laundry room to enter directly into the kitchen is preferred. My family has spent a lot of time at this bar. We shared many meals and much laughter here, but have also done many projects, completed lots of homework, and memorized multiplication tables and spelling words.

There aren't too many walls in our family living area. Directly across from the bar is our dining area for bigger meals as our family has expanded and we celebrate special occasions. From the dining area, we move on into the family room.

We're pretty comfortable and relaxed by nature. There are some favored traditions and collections that make the holidays for us. Our focal point is wrapped around the fireplace and mantle. Nothing warms up our home quite like the fireplace with hearth and mantle that holds a number of favorite photos of my bunch.

The chairs and coffee table provide a spot for everyone to gather and enjoy relaxed conversation, a good movie, or the warmth of the fire.

The built-ins on either side of the fireplace hold tractors and a truck that I've bought for Bryan in recent years. I'm always on the lookout for new pieces.

I love scarecrows and have collected these little guys for myself over the time.

This year, my piano hosts everything "Thanksgiving."

And the final stop in our living area is the foyer table by the front door. Remember, it you choose the front entrance, you'll be greeted by Autumn just as if you came in by the back.

The tour is over just yet. We wouldn't want you to miss our outdoor room. Even when the air is cool and crisp, Collin and I bundle up and enjoy the colorful leaves and scenery from the patio. We spend hours on the swing. (The inspiration for my blog title.)

I know--its a lot of pumpkins. That's a whole other story and I'm going to share some of these treasures that were given to me.  We're hoping to roast hotdogs over the firepit very soon.

I hope you've enjoyed the tour and may you have a blessed season.

Marcia

No comments: