Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Break Week

It has been a wonderful week and a great ushering in of Spring. I've changed our welcome to reflect the season, and I might add, Micah's favorite flower--tulips. It has been a productive week for our entire family. We've worked in the yard, in the house, and even helped out the grandparents a bit.
I started early in the week moving flowers and raking more leaves. I dug up some of my hostas, divided them, and added them to other places in the yard. They'll take off in no time and grow to full size. These are a partial sun/shade plant so they have to be on the north or east side of my house to do well.

Although I put them in a number of places, this is a spot by my patio which doesn't grow much of anything, so I'm hoping this will turn into a more pleasing space for the eyes.

Another chore on my list was to clean and spray paint some of my older flower pots. I thought they needed a face life so this is the beginning of the project. I bought gold, ivy leaf green, and pumpkin orange. They'll add a bright spot of color and look a little newer.

My fern made it pretty well through the winter and I've moved it outside to perk up the patio.

I've never had pansies before, but always admired them. I really think they're pretty in my newly painted pot.

This is a transplant. It survived the winter, and it needed to go into a new container with some fresh soil. This little beauty is resilient and needs little attention--just a good drink of water. It comes back year after year in spite of me.

Bryan has been home for the week and worked quite a bit. He broke his Papaw's garden spot one afternoon, spent a couple of days helping Papaw Bob and Mamaw Joyce with mowing, cutting limbs, burning, and more, then broke a small garden spot for us which will hold tomato plants and graded our drive. He's also found some free time for fun stuff with his friends. It's been good to have him home a few days.

Collin has busied himself every afternoon when he could get home from work with burning, mowing, and other things. He has even helped me complete a few projects I couldn't do totally by myself. He is wonderful; I don't know what I would do without him and he never complains.

This is the only antique I have in my house and it was my grandmother's. It was refinished for me, but I never particularly cared for the seat cushion. This fabric was left over from my piano bench cushion so I purposed that I could cover this cushion. This is one of the projects that Collin helped me with. We worked together pulling and holding the fabric while using the staple gun to complete the job. I'm extremely pleased.

Yesterday, I woke up with something--I don't know what, but it really effected my day. I would do something then head back to the chair or couch to rest. I loaded up on medicine last night and went to bed. Thankfully, this morning, I felt much better. I went to town to run a few errands, then treated my mom and Bryan to lunch at San Francisco Bread. (Sorry Micah, I know you would have enjoyed the traditional Friday family outing if you were closer to home. I thought of you.) Actually, we were celebrating a belated birthday for my mom. She loves to eat there and I love to take her. I just can't actually do it on her birthday because I'm working, but I try to catch up on the promise during Spring Break. Before eating, I met her at the mall because I had a couple of errands to take care of. While there, I stumbled upon this purse and bought it. I had some birthday money, and since I don't have a spring purse, it seemed to call my name. What do you think? Bryan joined us in time to eat.

Yes, this has truly been a great week and it isn't totally over just yet. In fact I want to do one more post. I have something not quite finished that I'm saving. I just want to close with this beauty that is in my backyard--a flowering crabapple tree with a redbud behind it. Spring is here and I'm so happy.
Marcia

No comments: