Sunday, March 13, 2011

Birthday Weekend

Friday was my birthday. I'm grateful to be alive and kickin'. God has richly blessed me with good health and lots of energy. I'm thankful that He has given me these years to enjoy life and my family. I hope he will give me many more years of happy days.

In self-celebration of my personal holiday, I took Friday off. I had no plans and that was the beauty of the day. Upon waking, I found a birthday present and a sweet note that Collin left for me. There was a gift card treating me to a 1-hour massage on the day of my choosing. I'm looking forward to this. I usually make good during spring break week. This is the third year for this luxury and I'm getting accustomed to the pampering. I lingered over my morning coffee, read for a while, and then got into the day. I did a few little chores, but tried to keep things quiet. Bryan had come home Thursday night to sleep in and I didn't want to wake him. When he did get up we had a nice chat and some catch-up time. I enjoyed the company. Mom called mid-day with well wishes from both she and my dad.

Early to mid-afternoon, I made my way outside. It was a beautiful, sunny day even though the wind was a little sharp. I cut and brought in a bouquet. Nothing says springtime like fresh flowers. I put a few wintry things away and brought out a few things that seemed to say spring. Friday night, Collin and I went out to the Classic Airstrip to enjoy fellowship and potluck with friends. After eating, the men talked and visited of planes while the ladies played Train Dominoes. This is a new game for me, but I have come to enjoy playing with the ladies. Here are Collin and I just before eating. Just as we were leaving, Micah called with birthday greetings and we visited well over an hour. It completed my day. If you can't have your children at home, at least thank goodness for cell phones.

Saturday morning dawned incredibly beautiful with more sunshine and even warmer temperatures. We went outside on the patio and enjoyed our coffee. How we hope there are more of these days to come. Shortly, we decided there was more yard detail to see about and we got busy. I got out my hedge trimmers and trimmed all the shrubbery. There were more sticks and leaves to rake and burn. I'm holding my birthday present from my dad and mom--a new yard broom. It's what I asked for. I truly enjoy working in my yard and the proper tools are essential.
And here is Collin. I'm mowing the yard by now and I caught him "really working hard" at holding that phone to his ear. He is really slaving away isn't he?

Just kidding! In all honesty he was working like crazy, too. He had raked, been running the yard sweeper and trying to keep the burn pile going and under control. He just happened to get a call. He has my new rake and you can actually get a better view of it as he has it.

After a full day in the yard, we hit the showers and went to Brookland. My in-laws invited us to come and they would take me to supper to celebrate my birthday. I chose TaMolly's and it was great. I love Mexican, I was starved, and Taco Salad and iced tea just fit the bill. We even splurged for the occasion and ordered cheese dip. Everything was yummy.

Today after church, we ate with my folks. My mom's birthday was Thursday. We're almost twins and I've always thought that was special. She made a cake for us--Hummingbird Cake--one of our favorites. Here we are before leaving to head home.
Now the day isn't quite over. After church tonight, we're going out with friends for pizza and that will conclude my birthday weekend, but it has been a great one. And again, I'm happy to have had one more year.
Marcia

No comments: