Sunday, October 6, 2013

Welcome Fall

It is a beautiful sunny day, but with a slightly chilly breeze in the air. With temperatures in the 60's, and an ever so slight change being seen in a few leaves, you know Autumn has officially arrived in the south. We recognize it in a number of ways.

Football seems to usher in the season, but it becomes more real to me by the change in nature, in decoration of lawn and home, changing clothing attire to warmer selections, thoughts of holiday cooking and shopping, and definitely by my boys as they make the necessary preparations for hunting. Yesterday morning as I was enjoying the cool crisp air from sitting on the patio, Collin asked me to help him with a project in the shop. He needed a second set of hands to help finish attaching the motors to his corn feeders. (As afore mentioned, we're getting ready for deer season.) He had also lit our fire pit. I absolutely breathed in Fall as I smelled the "woodsy" aroma and watched several leaves gently float to the ground in the breeze. It was so peaceful and relaxing--it whispered, "Fall."

After some time, Collin finished up and left for the afternoon. Bryan was already gone for the day joining friends to dove hunt. (Again, as afore mentioned--hunting season. The ducks should also be put on alert.) Alone at home, I ditched the idea of shopping in town due to a rainy afternoon and the desire to be warm and cozy rather than wet and cool. I was drawn to the kitchen and the end result was a pumpkin pie. The spicy scent filled the house as an accompaniment to the candle warmers already plugged in and burning in several rooms of the house.  (I should have made the photo right out of the oven.  It was much prettier.)


My house is decorated for the season. Fall colors are my favorites. Around and about, you'll see pumpkins, scarecrow figurines, acorns, leaves, and candles. I'll share a tour of my home on another post. When November arrives, I add turkeys and pilgrams. I also enjoy pumpkins and mums on the outside. Collin has always said that Halloween is kind of the first celebration of the season with many more to come, and as you can see, while we don't make much of Halloween, we are ready.

The best part of the season is family gatherings. We get to see more of our children in the fall and we have more family get-togethers with lots of seasonal dishes. You can't be southern and not have huge meals at family gatherings. Along with the pumpkin pie, we'll add on the pecan pie and the mincemeat just for my mom and dad.

Autumn! What a picturesque time of the year, how inspirational as we slow down to consider our blessings, and how warm that we pause to share love, warmth, and laughter with our family.

Warmest Wishes,

Marcia

No comments: