Sunday, May 16, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

When the days begin to warm and you're looking for fun and adventure outside, nothing will say spring quite like baseball. We traveled to Memphis a week ago on such an outing seeking the all American sports past-time. We found it along with hot dogs, but missed out on apple pie.

Memphis is the location of the Redbirds, an affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. They play in AutoZone Park which is really very nice. It's pretty easy to find your way in and then get out as well. I don't know why we don't go over more often to take in these games, but as is the case with everything, life just gets busy and hectic. Good intentions give way to time and before you know it, summer is over and so is baseball season.

The occasion of a birthday celebration took us to the baseball park this fair, sunny afternoon. We traveled with our good friends from church, Doug and Vera, to celebrate Vera's birthday. I don't know about everybody else, I think they did, but I for one had a blast. My life has been busy and stressful for a while so it was good to get out and be going somewhere. Secondly, I do enjoy baseball games and this is not the everyday occurrence, and thirdly, it's good to be out with friends.
After arriving and finding our seats which were great by the way, right down the first base line, we just settled in to decide that we should get up, visit concessions, and have baseball food for our dinner meal. We each had something different and it was all great; hot dog, barbecue nachos, fish and chip basket, and chicken fingers basket. Later, Vera shared a community bag of popcorn and the four of us polished off two bags of peanuts. Needless to say, we all had the largest cup possible of soda pop to go along with our game food. It was all part of the experience that you wouldn't want to miss.

Rocky the Redbird appeared before game time to entertain the crowd and play with the children.
As the game got underway and progressed inning by inning, I offered commentary to keep everyone informed of the proceedings and assessment of how the game was coming along. I don't know what everyone thought was so funny or their thinking that I can't loosen up and have a little fun. I think they thought something must be wrong, when on a wild pitch I exclaimed, "JUUUUUUUST a bit outside!" And then, as the Redbirds begin to score runs and the excitement began to mount, what could possibly be odd in admonishing them, "Listen to that crowd!" I'm wondering if my comrades just don't know how to have a good time. They need to lighten up and get out a little more often.
We had to leave a little early and didn't get to stay until the very end, but the Redbirds did win the game 5 to 4 and we had a great time. I hope we get back at least one more time this summer. If you're looking for a great outing, a great time, and enjoy baseball, I highly recommend you head out I555 S. It doesn't take long to get to Memphis and back for the incredible time you are going to have. And don't forget extra spending money--you've got to at least have a hot dog.
Batter up,
Marcia

No comments: