Friday, January 8, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside

. . .but it is nice and toasty in our house. We have a wood burning insert in the family room and it sure has felt good these last few days.

It didn't take long for the weather to take front and center stage this new year. We got in three days of school just to wake up yesterday morning to a white blanket of snow and chilling temperatures. School was dismissed and I took the opportunity to sleep in just a bit and then, I spent just about all day gathering, organizing, and sorting tax receipts and papers. And the kicker is, I'm an organized person; I have folders and files designating special places that I put things all year. When you operate two businesses out of your home it is a must; otherwise, I don't know how long it would take me. At any rate, I felt quite a sense of accomplishment along with taking care of a load of laundry and preparing our evening meal. Of course, being the shutter bug that I am, I couldn't resist bundling up to make one or two snapshots of the snow. Although it doesn't look very deep, the roads were icy.

I thought we would be back to school today, but I think the single-digit temperatures and wind chills kept a lot of us home again. With this second day of vacation, I tackled a few other odd jobs and some house cleaning chores. Just about all the remnants of Christmas have disappeared at our house with just a few things remaining visible to keep a reminder of the holiday season.

Many of you know how fond I am of snowmen. I have quite a collection that I display for Christmas, but I also reserve a few things for the month of January. Since that is actually the time we get snow, I like to save my snowman cookie jar and some place mats to enjoy in the bar area where we eat. He was a Christmas gift last year from a dear friend and how I do enjoy him and a couple of other little secondary pieces.
I can hardly stand to throw out anything that has life so I also am enjoying the last days of my poinsettias. They won't make it much longer, but they surely add a bright spot in the dining area.

And finally, even in winter, I get much enjoyment from our pergola and patio area.
We've hung two bird feeders and we are visited frequently by wren, chickadees, blue jays, and my favorites, the red birds. We stand in the french doors endlessly looking out at them. And yes, my unwanted squirrels are still here, feeding, as well.

Well, I think I'm headed back to the fireplace and having a hot cup of cappuccino.

Stay warm,

Marcia

No comments: