Monday, April 18, 2011

A New Chapter

The last few weeks have been very busy and I'm a bit behind on my post. A major change has occurred in my life and I've delayed just a bit in publishing the news, but I'm very excited to announce that I have formally resigned my position as instructor at the NEA Career and Tech Center and am retiring from Jonesboro Public Schools effective June 7 after 31 years. This phase of my career is officially coming to a close. I'll enjoy having the summer to rest up a bit, but my retirement will be short lived as I have accepted a new position as Assistant Administrator and Coordinator of Curriculum at Ridgefield Christian School. I can hardly express how excited I am and how happy I am to be given this new opportunity. God has richly blessed me and I feel this is truly a gift from above. I have been somewhat unhappy for a while and have prayed that a door would open for me and it has. This endeavor started for me last November with preparing and submitting an application packet. I received a first phone call in late January, interviewed in February, and then again in March. I received an official offer on Tuesday night, March 15, and accepted, then turned in my resignation on Wednesday, March 16. Ridgefield is PreK-3 through 12 with about 300 students. I have already been so warmly welcomed by the board, faculty, staff, and parents. It has been overwhelming. Everyone has gone over and above to make me feel a part. On a Friday afternoon several weeks ago, I was welcomed by the faculty for an informal meet and greet. This is a wonderful group of teachers and staff. Last Tuesday, a reception was held to meet the parents and families. It was incredible. There was a really nice turnout of parents, board members, and staff members. Even some of the younger children came along with their parents. They had a beautiful cake, cookies, a tea table of fruit, and gorgeous flower arrangements. Collin went with me and we had a delightful time. He was even invited to play golf that following Friday in the Annual Ridgefield Golf Tournament which is a fund raiser for the school. The interim administrator is Jim Cole. He will be staying on this year, but next year will finish his responsibilities. I will move into the position of administrator next year. Again, I'm excited. I have a renewed energy and enthusiasm I haven't experienced in a long time. I'm going to enjoy summer, but for the first time in years, I don't think August will hold the dread that it usually does. Marcia

No comments: