Sunday, January 30, 2011

Working in Charleston

I worked last week, but I didn't go to school. I'm on a special committee of four and I traveled last week with three colleagues to Charleston, South Carolina for a convention filled with meetings.

We actually had pretty good speakers save one or two. Although there wasn't much time for pleasure, we spent just a little time our last morning walking and seeing just a little scenery. It's a beautiful city and I would like to go back as a tourist on vacation. Our hotel was about two blocks from waters edge. We could see Fort Sumpter off in the distance. This city was founded in 1670 and was originally named Charles Town.

We headed to Little Rock about 6:30 last Monday morning. Our flight departed at 11:08 and we landed in Charlotte, NC to change plans and fly to Charleston. It was smooth and uneventful, thank goodness. Thursday, we were routed to Atlanta and then to Little Rock arriving about 5:30.

I thought this fountain was beautiful. The pineapple is the symbol of hospitality and welcome. Pineapple in one art form or another is all this city.
We were in the historical district walking, and I was taken with the cobble stone streets that remain in this area.

We also walked through Battery Park.

The historic homes were beautiful and palms are everywhere. I love the balconies and wrap-around-porches. There is actually a lot of French influence in this area. Sometimes, I almost thought I was in New Orleans.

Being on the water front makes them all the more beautiful.

The courtyards between the houses is also beckoning with its calm and restful appeal.

This is only a small sampling of my pictures. I thought I could just share a hint of the beauty of this town. Truly, there is no place like the south.
Marcia

No comments: