Monday, October 5, 2009

Another First

You'll remember that I've done a few things this summer on the "wilder" side that have been out of character for me such as barrel rolling in an open cockpit plane. Well, this past weekend, I've done another.

Collin and I went on what is probably our last camping trip for the year. We camped out at Denton's Ferry in Cotter, once again, with Dennis and Regina. On Saturday, we went on a guided fishing tour on the White River. I don't guess I've ever fished, but we were in a boat for most of the day, casting for trout, outside of lunch time when they brought us back to the resort for grilled hamburgers. I think it is probably the only way I would care to fish. Our guide put my bait on the hook and took my fish off. All I had to do was cast, hook 'em, and reel 'em in. He did the rest. He knew the river and took us to all the hot spots. We caught fish all day long; many got lucky and were thrown back.

I enjoyed this new adventure. I don't think it was actually the fishing so much although that was ok, but I loved the tranquility, the scenery, and the water. It was nice to lay down the pole and just ride in the boat. The leaves were beginning to change color and there were many birds that were beautiful. We even saw a bald eagle. You'll note in the photograph how beautiful the scenery is in this area.
Well, here I am bringing in my first trout of the day. There is no evidence; you'll just have to trust me that I actually caught a large number of fish. Collin made this picture of me, but alas, he cut off the net and the fish, the main focal point (which would explain why I am the photographer in this family). You must believe me when I say there was a fish on the end of the line.
We packed up Sunday and drove home in the rain after having spent a beautiful Saturday. It was a little chilly and we had put on layered clothing taking off one piece at at time as the day progressed. The drive home seemed to close down the official summer season and herald in the beginning of fall with cool temperatures, drizzle, and changing leaves.

Now I don't believe I'm going to become an avid fisherwoman. This was fun, but I don't think that Bass Pro should get all excited that I'll be coming in any time soon to buy waders, poles, tackle box, and lures.

Marcia

No comments: