Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Let the Summer Begin

If the temperatures are any indication, it is definitely summertime in Arkansas, but it never really seems like summer to me until school is out. Although the students were out at the end of May, my contract goes longer and this is really my first week at home.

Last Monday and Tuesday, I started my summer vacation with two all-day workshops in Harrisburg gaining in-service credit toward next school year's required 60 hours. They weren't too great. Was I ever glad to get home Tuesday afternoon and have that behind me. Then I was back at school on Thursday to help a colleague with some computer projects for an on-line college class he was trying to complete. So as you can see, it wasn't much of a free week.

Friday was a busy, but exciting day for me. My baby girl was headed home from NOLA and I hadn't seen her since April. I had some house cleaning to do so she and Rhyne would have a clean room, some mowing to do so the yard would be nice for the weekend, a few things to do in the kitchen because we like to eat, and Collin and I had haircuts scheduled at 5:30. All this and we still beat them home. Bryan has stuck by pretty close this weekend, too, as he thinks his big sis is just pretty special. We kept it simple and had pizzas for supper. Saturday morning, we had a big pancake breakfast, Micah and I went shopping, and Saturday night, we grilled hamburgers.

Sunday was a special since it was Father's Day. We went to church, then on to mom and dad's for lunch. I want to share a picture of the family. Sorry about the table; first things first. As I said, we love to eat, but this is a pretty good photo of our bunch. I'm very lucky to have such a wonderful father, and I'm very lucky to be married to a wonderful father. Sunday night at church, we had home-made ice cream fellowship. That was kind of fun.
We had a great visit with our kids, but they've gone on their way from us now. They have visited with the Putman's and tomorrow are enroute to Tennessee for the remainder of their vacation.

At any rate, summer has now begun. I enjoyed this special visit, and now, I'll have to focus on some housecleaning and home projects. Of course, no matter how busy I get, I always start the day with a walk and coffee time sitting outside on the patio. As July rolls around, Collin and I hope to get in a little vacationing and recreation ourselves.

Thank goodness for air-conditioning,
Marcia

No comments: