Sunday, November 13, 2011

Veteran's Day Celebration










Thursday was a very special day in the life of RCS. Our social studies teacher organized a Veteran's Day assembly to pay tribute to our local heroes who have served in the military and those who are presently serving. At 9:30, our gym was packed out with students, 1st through 12 grades, as well as military honorees along with their spouses, and other guests in the community. Every grade level was asked to create patriotic banners and to hang them through the gym. This just happened to be one of them that was presented by the first graders. As you can see, there are four alumni actively serving at this time.

As the veterans begin to arrive and American anthems were playing, there was special seating for them on the floor. There were a number of men that had served in WW II some being in their 90s. The youngest were probably late 20s and early 30s. I was extremely pleased that my dad could come and be counted as part of that group. You can see both he and mom about mid-way of this photo. Each one was recognized by the branch of service and then by the war they served in. I thought it was very special.

This gentleman was the guest speaker. He was 93 and had been a POW for three years in the Philippines.

The school choir sang the National Anthem and at the end of the program this student sang a solo, a tribute of thanks to all soldiers.

At the close of the program, the children gave flags to the veterans that they had colored as an appreciation and there was a short reception to honor the vets. Again, I was delighted that my dad could come and share in the celebration of the day.

Marcia

PS. Sorry my pictures are out of order. After thinking I was finished, I found a CD I thought I left at school so I added several good ones at the top.

No comments: