Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Night at the Fair

I loved going to the fair when I was a small child as well as a teenager. I still love going to the fair. I recall when I was very small, my mom always had to dress me warmly and carry a sweater because it would be cold at night. Now we seem to swelter in the heat until the sun sets. During my elementary years, I looked forward to going with a friend so I would have someone to share the rides. When I finally reached the teen-age years, my mom and dad got off the hook of having to take me. I'm sure that was a great relief not to have to be bothered any more; I could take care of myself.

I truly enjoy everything about the fair and we go one night every year. Weaving through the crowd and seeing folks you know to stop and talk with is enjoyable. You see people that you haven't seen since last year or longer. The exhibit buildings always have interesting booths and you can usually pick up a few freebies. These would be yard sticks, emory boards, pens, pencils, candy, and gum. The craft building always holds some interesting items. Stitching, photography, canning, floriculture, and culinary delights to name a few. Last night I was somewhat amused. I think every entry received a ribbon regardless of it's excellence. I believe everyone walked away a winner. The lights of the midway will draw you in for a stroll. Although I can't ride any more, I always like to make the loop, enjoy the lights, and hear the happy squeals from the little ones who go up and down on the horses of the merry-go-round to the big ones who are terrified on the thrill rides tossing them around, upside down, and side to side. And you can't pass up the food, corn dogs, cotton candy, funnel cakes, taffy apples, roasted corn, and on and on it goes. Last night I discover "fried twinkies", and "fried snickers". NO, I did not try them. I thought better to pass. What will they think of next?

We went last night with our neighbors, Steve and Robin. Collin and Steve always work the Riceland booth together and Robin and I tag along to make it girl's night out. This is an annual event for us and we always have a good time.

We tour the buildings, walk the mid-way, and finish up with a barbeque and drink for our supper. We have always found this to be pretty good food supplied by the Moose Lodge and we think it is probably the most safe if you get my drift. Here we are enjoying our sandwiches. We found a table to sit down and enjoy.

Collin came to get a sandwich as well and we all happened to meet up.


I do think the lights are beautiful after dark. I caught the sunset behind this one.

We always finish up with the country concert held at the grandstand. Last night, we heard Jarred Neimen who sings Lover, Lover, You Don't Treat Me No Good No More. It was actually a good concert. He has a good voice and his instrumentalists were exceptional. We met up with our guys who were closing down the Riceland booth. We finished up by checking out the farm animals, not my most favorite part; a little smelly you know.

At any rate, we had a great time, and I'm already looking forward to next year.

Marcia

No comments: