Saturday, January 24, 2009

Stop and Smell the Roses

I despise cold weather. As soon as Christmas is over, I'm ready for May. I can't seem to pile on enough clothing, my feet are like two chunks of ice, and my favorite spot at home is standing in front of our wood-burning insert. Ah, there is nothing quite like wood heat. Our family room is always so nice and toasty.

Obviously, January is not my favorite month of the year even though I must confess, I would love to see just a little snow. There is, however, something that I do like about January and February in all fairness to months one and two of the year. It is a slower, more relaxed time that Collin and I enjoy when we don't have to rush and be busy on weekends. These two months of the year, we purpose to spend Saturdays sitting by the fire, leisurely sipping our morning coffee, chatting a bit, and reading the newspaper or similar tranquil activities. Several of those Saturdays, we get into our vehicle and take to the highway. Sometimes, we just piddle in the Jonesboro shopping areas and sometimes, we embrace more exciting adventures by going to Memphis or hitting the open road in one direction or another. Last Saturday was one of such days.

Collin's parents asked us to join them for the day on an outing to Hardy and Ozark country. We had a wonderful time. We did have one particular goal in mind; breakfast at a quaint little diner located at the end of the Hardy main street. I can't even tell you the name of the place, but obviously, no larger than Hardy is, one can easily find it. They serve breakfast all day at very reasonable prices and the selections are delicious. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't eaten there should seek out this little "diamond in the rough." After our 11 o'clock brunch, we traveled on into the hill country for a drive into Calico Rock, Mt. View, Batesville, and back home. There is certainly not a great deal of beauty to behold this time of year, but the barren mountain tops still speak majestically and hint that the promise of spring is on the way when once again, the peaks will echo with green. Our day was enjoyable and our spirits were renewed.

Something else we've come to enjoy is watching the birds outside our french doors. It is a balm to the weary mind, a remembrance of God's amazing creation, and the beauty found in the simplest things if we only slow down enough to recognize it and enjoy the wonder. We have hung two bird feeders outside our patio area and our little wooden swinging restaurants draw quite a crowd. One day, we counted 10 red birds at one time. We also have blue jays, wrens, robins, doves, and a rather large family of unwanted squirrels. But, hey, I guess they are God's creatures, too, and have to eat. Often as I gaze out the window watching, I'm reminded of God's promise that He will provide for our every need. He manages to feed the birds and yet, He loves us more.

So, I'm determined to find something good during these cold wintry days in spite of my shivering and shaking for I know that Spring is approaching when I must be busy cleaning my yard, trimming the shrubbery, and pruning the trees. There will not be free Saturdays to stop and smell the roses or in my case. . .

Pause and watch the birds,

Marcia

1 comment:

Micah said...

You mention the family of unwanted squirrels, but not the two men who take great joy in trying to keep those squirrels from coming back!